23.8.08

OPTICKS

Night we sat above the sea, or night
the sea sat with us, and neither of us
wanted to be a part of it
but
for different reasons
stayed
shut.

Dark things recede, I know, I read
in Newton’s Opticks
I think
or saw on the television a dark thing receding
a dark wall maybe, gliding out
noiseless
or a window maybe
noiseless
into unfolding hours,
itself stayed
shut.

But this dark came
I mean
it arrived, it approached
it spread its thick legs and pointed its thick toes at me
this dark came into me
and it felt, it felt
its breath at my throat
it spread my thick legs, stinging
the hand at my throat, the itch
at my ear, mouth pulled wide pulled
shut, shit knees, not breathing really or too much
breathing, too much of the heart or
too little, and it was waiting, waiting
to happen.

No comments: