12.2.09

BOLAND SITS ON MY CHEST WHILE I SLEEP/I CANNOT SEE HER FACE BUT FEEL HER BREATHE

Eavan, my body is a witch.
I am burning it. 

mouth seals, makes for better strings when
forgiven, how to forget therein
therein the bitter, therein
the sweet room.

hand foot and mouth
and tongue a crib
for chocolate – forgets
for a moment.

She has learned her lesson:
O For Ten Years, that. Finally
Eavan, make me holy, how clean
make me forget

the fall into forked dark,
into python needs
my charcoal flogging reed, swollen
bent with grief


and lips and heat
and sweat and fat and greed

that sinews make
for better strings when mouth seals

Eavan, For Ten Years witch, heretic
spoilt I send
my sow’s ear silk purse
lusterless pearl, prize of parchment.

O so very
very little and then
nothing -
nothing at all.

for chocolate for charcoal
damn me.

No comments: