28.3.10

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE NO. 1

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

is sharing a bathroom with my sister

he seems to find this situation less than ideal

I FIND THIS SITUATION LESS THAN IDEAL

is written with a fountain pen on a parchment scroll

a seal of amber wax

at the foot of my bed

PLEASE INFORM YOUR SIBLING

THAT HER SUNDRY ITEMS CONTINUE

TO INFRINGE UPON MY SIDE OF

THE BATHCHAMBER DESPITE

THE EQUAL DIVISION

OF THE SPACE I HAVE VERY CAREFULLY

DEMARCATED

my sister is in her room listening to Joy Division

and reading a magazine segment concerned with

the 'flirty' application of eye-liner

that guy

takes a really long time in the bathroom

my sister tells me

I don’t know what the fuck he is doing

in there.

I explain that he has fingernails to buff

a velvet waistcoat to de-lint

a cravat to tie

starched knickers to fasten

a wig to powder

I didn’t know that was a wig

she says, an abrupt musical shift to Justice

I had assumed that was

his real hair.

No comments: